A divine alternative to the traditional mashed potatoes and meat for your holiday feast, especially if you’re attending more than one holiday dinner. This brisket is slow-braised at a low temperature with warm spices for 6 hours, and its tenderness is delectable over the light yet hearty skinnypasta HIGH PROTEIN Fettuccine. This recipe offers all of the flavor you would expect with a holiday meal and none of the guilt!
MINUTE PREP TIME
HOUR COOK TIME
6 - 8
– 500g skinnypasta HIGH PROTEIN Fettuccine (2 packages) – 3 pounds beef stew meat – 1 cup red wine – 2 onions – 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds – 6 cloves garlic – 1 orange, cut into 8 segments – about 2 cups water (to cover meat) – 4 cloves – 4 sprigs thyme – 3 tbs. olive oil (for cooking) – 2 sticks cinnamon – 2 bay leaves – salt and pepper to taste
In a large sauté pan, heat about 2 tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add a handful of your stew meat (with no overlap to avoid steaming) and sear for 15 seconds on each side, just until colored. Add a pinch salt, remove from pan and place in an oven-safe baking dish. Repeat with all of the meat, adding a little bit of oil if needed to avoid cooking with a dry pan. You’ll want to move quickly here so that the bottom of the pan doesn’t burn.
Once all the meat is cooked, add the onions and sauté until transparent, about 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic, stir a few times, then add the orange, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir again a few times then deglaze with red wine, reducing to about half. Pour the red wine mixture over the cooked meat and then add water to the meat until just covered. Seal the baking dish with a lid or foil and bake in the oven for 6 hours, not lifting the lid to avoid evaporation of the liquid.
Once the meat has cooked and is very tender, remove from the oven and let cool. Season with salt and pepper to taste and either keep warm to serve right away or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Before serving, strain out the cooking liquid into a pot and reduce down to 25% of the original volume, concentrating the flavor. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, add your cooked meat, cover, and keep warm.
Last but not least, cook your pasta. Bring water to a boil and add 500g skinnypasta HIGH PROTEIN Fettuccine. Cook for 1 minute and check for doneness, strain. Keep the pasta warm and toss with a tablespoon olive oil and a pinch sea salt. Serve on a platter and top with meat. Drizzle the extra sauce over the meat and top with pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley for some color and flavor.
– To make this gluten-free, use skinnypasta SUPERFOOD TEFF pasta variety.
– If you cannot find pomegranate seeds, feel free to use dried cranberries.
– To make this dish less “holiday” in flavor for the rest of the year, feel free to omit the cloves and cinnamon.
– Post a photo and #NourishPassion to share your meal with us!