When you think of comfort food, do you think of macaroni and cheese? We tend to do so, and this recipe is a spin on the classic, and it’s gluten free to boot! Your new staple for any party, these twice-baked macaroni and cheese balls are truly delightful and can be enjoyed by all guests, including those with gluten sensitivities.
MINUTE PREP TIME
MINUTE COOK TIME
4 - 5
– 250g SUPERFOOD TEFF Macaroni
– 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
– 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
– 1/2 cup milk
– 2 tbs. olive oil
– 1 tbs. rice flour
– 1/4 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
– 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
In medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Whisk in rice flour until homogenous, about 1 minute. Add the milk, nutmeg, and a hefty pinch sea salt. Whisk until thick, this is your Bechamel. Slowly stir in the grated cheese, letting it melt to form a sauce. Season with salt to taste and add more if needed. This sauce should taste delicious!
Meanwhile, cook your skinnypasta: bring water to a boil and add 250g skinnypasta SUPERFOOD TEFF Macaroni. Cook for 1 minute and check for doneness, strain.
Gently mix the cooked pasta into the sauce and transfer to a shallow baking dish so that mixture is 2” deep. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a crust has developed on the top.
Remove from heat, and let cool to touch. Form into 1 1/2” diameter balls on a lined baking sheet and top each ball with extra cheese. Bake again for another 10-15 minutes, until the tops have browned. Let cool slightly before serving.
– This dish is gluten free.
– Can be eaten with hands or using toothpicks.
– You can substitute your favorite vegan cheese shreds and dairy-free milk to make this vegan.
– Post a photo and #NourishPassion to share your meal with us!